It is the role of the Journalism to spread information about every relevant happening in the world. Newspapers, radio, television and more recently the new media-internet has completely revolutionized the way news used to broadcast. Journalists have a very significant role to play in this practice.
Today a journalism as a career stands not only for a prestigious profession but also for a challenging career option. Journalists play a key role in the growth of any nation. The core purpose of journalism is to inform, educate and enlighten the masses on various issues revolving them.
As the new world has time and again, verified the saying that the pen and the camera is mightier than the sword, numerous opportunities for journalists have been generated all around the globe.
Educational Qualification: For a bachelor degree in journalism, generally the minimum eligibility is set at 10+2 certificate and for Post graduate degree courses, a graduate degree in journalism is required. Some institutes and private educational player also offer one year certificate courses in journalism for which eligibility is 10+2.
There are also courses in specialised areas of journalism like sports, television, photo, press law etc. One must keep in mind the fact that no course or training can claim to make somebody a qualified journalist.
Career Options with the Media
- Reporter: As a reporter of a newspaper, magazine, news agency, radio or television channel, your job will be to report with speed, clarity and accuracy. The intellect to distinguish a story and objectivity will be very important in this role.
- Correspondent/Special Reporter: To be a reporter for a particular purpose, you must have thorough knowledge in a particular field like politics and sports etc. You must also have the ability to read between the lines and explain the news on the basis of your understanding.
- Feature Writer: A feature writer’s job revolves around writing in-depth stories and observations on specific topics.
- Leader Writer: They are concerned with putting across their views on news topics through editorial columns only.
- Proof Reader: Proof Reader’s job is to evaluate and compare proofs with the edited copy. For this job one must possess skills in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Editor: Editor is the key head whose chief responsibility is to ensure uniformity and continuity of the print media. He/she presents the newspaper in an eye-catching fashion.
- Columnist: As a columnist, one writes for a particular segment in the newspaper or magazine. Your column would highlight your viewpoint concerning any topic under the sun like fashion, politics or films and the like.
- Critic: In order to be a critic, you will have to be well-read and experienced. Irrespective of the field one must have comprehensive knowledge in the subject concerned.
- Photo Journalist: To become a successful Photojournalists or in simple words, visual reporter one must be swift in taking pictures which represent a news-story and be willing to work in difficult conditions. Furthermore, He/ she should have the skills of writing appropriate captions and knowledge of the technical aspects of photography.
- Cartoonist: you have to artistic and humorous to get recognition as a cartoonist. A cartoonist comments on public personalities and other happenings in a satirical manner.
Journalists get salaries from $60,000.